Each one of us must be grateful to see the year 2021. The year 2020 was by no means an easy year for most of us after a vicious struggle with the effects of Covid-19 pandemic which we faced and continue to face the daunting challenge of addressing the hardships posed by the pandemic.
Nevertheless, our optimism and decisiveness to rethink and reprogram our business model to mitigate the impact created by the pandemic was really, the way to go. Adopting to the “new normal” necessitated by the pandemic has proved the most sustainable response to COVID-19. At MESPT, we are committed to observe the laid-out government and WHO measures to ensure that you and our staff are protected.
Reflecting, we were able to cover significant ground on our 2020 activities. I wish to acknowledge my team for their sincere efforts and valuable support they continued to extend to the communities we serve. I also wish to thank you for your continued partnership and extended friendship to our great organization.
I take this opportunity to give you the highlights of our 2021 calendar year for your attention and participation: -
1. We are in the process of completing our new strategic plan 2021 -2025 and will launch it in the first quarter of the year.
2. We will commence the implementation of our new DANIDA funded programme dubbed “Green Employment in Agriculture Programme 2021 -2025.” The programme will target 40,000 small holder Farmers in 12 counties in Kenya. Through this Programme, MESPT will facilitate increased commercialization, decent employment, and green transformation. We envision to launch this programme in Quarter 3 of this year.
3. In the third quarter of 2020, we commenced the implementation of the Danida Market Development Partnerships (DMDP) programme dubbed “Spurring Job Creation in Kenya by Enhancing the Competitiveness of the Banana Sub Sector”. This new project will contribute to increased and sustainable incomes of 2000 smallholder farmers and facilitate the creation of decent jobs within the banana subsector in Taita Taveta County with emphasis on women and youth. We envision to launch this programme in April 2021.
4. To better serve our partners and beneficiaries in the Lake Region and North Rift Economic Blocs, we have opened a new office in Kakamega town at Holden Mall building opposite Bukhungu stadium.
5. We will also soon open an office in Taveta town to support the activities of the DMDP programme.
On behalf of MESPT Caretaker Committee members and Staff, I wish you good health and success in the New Year as we roll-up our sleeves to making a difference in the lives of the people that we serve!